Sunday, February 13, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!


This cheerful little holiday brings back childhood memories of decorating shoe boxes covered in tinfoil with red construction paper hearts and doilies- my Valentine's day "mailbox".

When I think of all the steps in preparation for the big day, as I carefully chose from the lovely array of little cards in that little box, hand picked by me at the local GC Murphy's or Woolworth's.



Selecting my favorite cards for my latest crush and best girl friends, signing my name so carefully to each and every valentine card ...the thought of all the pink and red chocolate cupcakes with the little plastic heart toothpicks stuck in them and mountains of potato chips,'red hots' and conversation hearts, just beyond made the day all the more exciting...all of that tinged with the slightest concern that I may not come home with a full "mailbox"...it always worked out...the cupcake usually bigger than I could handle, and the simple joy of sitting criss-cross applesauce that afternoon as I picked my favorite cards and sorted carefully through 30 + cards- for the prize card from my favorite boy.


Fast forward 30 something years...not quite the same...but certainly the simple pleasure of romanticizing the house and sending little cards to dear little munchkins and friends certainly still makes this holiday a fun to do...and the prize card from the favorite boy? Well now I'm the favorite girl, so the card is all the more special.

Happy Valentine's Day to all!

Hope your day is filled with something sweet, a little fun and a little something special in your mailbox.

4 comments:

  1. hi there!

    I just wanna say i love your blog!
    New follower from SB (knowme)

    Love
    Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mice are extremely cute.Magnetic appeal!!
    New follower from Kiwi's Blogger Follower #4

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh... The memories. That was so long ago. Now, I give my children little valentine gifts and treats.

    purple24 from swap-bot for the BLOGGER Followers #4 swap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a lovely little blog, I look foreword to watching you! (Angeliclizard from Swap-Bot, Blogger follower #4 )

    ReplyDelete